Here at London Colney we are continually striving for excellence in all areas, including our school attendance. Children are regularly spoken to about how important good attendance is and the need to be at school on time every day. Within school, we have our attendance mascot – OTIS (On Time In School) who the children know about well. As a school, we are constantly working towards our goal of 96% attendance and high attendance is celebrated each week in assembly. We want the children of our school to have the best learning experience possible and for this to happen we expect great attendance.
We have been working really hard to improve our attendance and our current attendance figure for this year is XXX.
Our OTIS Ambassadors:
We recognise there are many children within our school that have exceptional attendance and work hard every day to make sure they are in school and arrive on time. This year is our third year of OTIS ambassadors – a group of children who have shown their commitment to attending school to the best of their ability. These children and their roles are known within school and are happy to help and speak to children who may need help with getting to school every day and on time.
Our OTIS Ambassadors this year are:
Impact of Absence:
We know and strongly believe here that children who are attending school regularly and on time are accessing their learning to the fullest capacity and are having the best chance possible to be successful within their education. If a child is absent, even if for just 1 day, it has huge implications on their learning, meaning that they are having to spend time catching up on missed work. Below is the chart we have displayed in class which clearly communicates how many hours learning are missed should children be absent from school.
We strongly encourage parents and carers to make any appointments for their child outside of the school day as any time off school will mean that a child will have missed a valuable lesson. NO holiday during term time will be authorised. Only families with very exceptional circumstances may be granted authorised leave from school and this will always be down to the Head Teacher’s discretion. If your child’s attendance falls below 90%, then you will be expected to attend a meeting with myself and the Attendance Improvement Officer from Hertfordshire County Council to ascertain the reasons for absence and support that needs to be put in place moving forward.
|Attendance during 1 school year||Equals – days absent||Which is approximately weeks absent||Which means this number of lessons missed|
|95%||9 days||2 weeks||50 lessons|
|90%||19 days||4 weeks||100 lessons|
|85%||29 days||6 weeks||150 lessons|
|80%||38 days||8 weeks||200 lessons|
|75%||48 days||10 weeks||250 lessons|
|70%||57 days||11.5 weeks||290 lessons|
|65%||67 days||13.5 weeks||340 lessons|
Fixed Penalty Notices:
To ensure that our expectations of attendance are kept high, we will now be issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for families where any of the criteria below has been met. A Fixed Penalty Notice comes with a charge of £60 per child, per adult in each family unit.
Criteria for Issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice:
- Penalty notices may only be issued in cases of unauthorised absence
- The pupil must have at least 15 sessions (half days) unauthorised absence in the current and/or previous term
- The school must have sent a formal warning to the parent
- The school/academy/police or Attendance Improvement Officer considers that issuing a penalty notice could avoid further absence
- Issuing a penalty notice does not conflict with any other legal action being taken
- A maximum of two separate penalty notices will be issued to a parent within any twelve month period
- Penalty notices will be issued for pupils of compulsory school age, up to the end of the spring term of year 11
- A penalty notice will not be issued in respect of a pupil who is looked after by the Local Authority without the prior agreement of the Central Attendance and Employment Support Team Manager on behalf of the County Lead for Attendance